Saturday, July 01, 2006

Why do you drink? (to get drunk!)


Sunday I have a family event. My uncle (Uncle Jack) is having a July 4th get together. We don't get together much, but since my brother was diagnosed with ALS, we've been getting together much more often. I actually was dreading the reunion quite a little bit. The last time I went, I was still dating Liza, and she was a social butterfly, so if I forgot the name of someone, I'd just ask her. It was very convenient. In fact, my brother-in-law was happy about it too. However, now I'll be heading there alone (well, my parents too). I was okay with this because my brother was going to be there, and I do want to see my brother, but it sounds like both my sister and brother have excuses now (sister: her son's baseball tournament (travel) and brother: his daughter needs to go to the doctor to see if she broke something), so it looks like it might just be me.

There is a chance that I can get Tiffany, my second cousin, to entertain me. A long time ago at a wedding I think she tried to fix me up with a friend she brought. Unfortunately, I was too young to get it until at the end of the wedding when it was too late to do anything about it. Anyway, I have a feeling Tiff'll be there. Tiffany is a year older than me. This is interesting because she is the daughter of my cousin. There is a similar example of this on my father's side of the family as well. Since I am the product of a second marriage (for both my mom and my dad) (note: that makes my sister and brother half-sister and half-brother), then I was born much later than the rest of the people on the same level as me on the family tree. That means that kids my age would sit at the kiddie table at family events and I would sit at the adult table. It was very strange. So I guess you could say that I'm out of sync with the universe. I'm "supposed" to have kids my age now. Oh, well... Screwed that one up. :)

Monday it sounds like everyone (brother and sister and all of their respective kids) is converging on my parents' place on Monday, so that will be... well... something. At least I'll get to see my brother. :) Again, these family events are a little more fun with a date... Especially when my "peers" are all married and have children. Ya' know?

I hope everyone's July 4th weekend is going as well as mine. (when will the peeling stop? It itches so much!)


No comments: