Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Haters don't like players, and players don't like haters...

Someday I hope to be an academic -- a professor teaching somewhere, with students and research grants, and all that jazz...

But I worry... Because people who do things like award funding are typically people who are excited about the award process, which means they're award winners themselves... and (aside from a few uncommon exceptions) I hate winners. I hate recognition. I think if someone wins something, the only person who should be notified is that person herself. She should accept her award, do something with it, and keep quiet about where she got the award.

However, because everyone, regardless of how you feel about narcissistic award winners, has to bow down to these people...

So is there no hope? Clustering together with people who don't think recognition should go beyond a small (10 or 12 people -- perhaps geographically distributed... a few hundred people max) group isn't going to help because those award winners are going to promote from within. They're not going to respect merit. In fact, it's not efficient to respect merit. It's cheaper just to promote from within regardless of the mediocrity of the submissions of those people.

So I fear a dismal future... I fear there's no way to survive as a hater. I think that's kinda sad. Players like to write history in favor of the players... They sponsor programs to turn young children into players...

So is there any room for haters out there? Are haters doomed?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: