Friday, May 20, 2005

U.S. vs. South Korea ("The Science President")

So it's interesting that these two articles came out on the same day:

U.S.: Bush threatens veto on stem cell research bill

South Korea: Stem cells tailored to patients

Kinda makes you proud to be an American, huh?

What's interesting is that there's speculation that there's enough Congressional support for the bill to OVERRIDE a veto! If Bush feels like he's got some mandate from the electorate, then why would they elect a Congress that is so different from him?

I also remember Bush bragging about being the first President to give support for this research during the 2004 election, which was supposed to spin his 2000 ruling as if it was in favor of the research rather than against it. I guess we now know his true colors, huh?
"I made [it] very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers' money, to promote science which destroys life in order to save life, I'm against that," Bush told reporters. "Therefore if the bill does that, I will veto it."

It would mark the first veto of Bush's presidency.

Officials said the administration will stress that the president is not opposed to stem cell research but remains concerned about how how taxpayer dollars are spent.

I dunno. To me, he sounds pretty opposed to embryonic stem cell research.

No comments: