Thursday, March 24, 2005

Hiding my Laptop Lust

Well, let's lighten things up a bit after those last two posts...

Understand that I absolutely hate my Toshiba Satellite 1905-S277 laptop. There are lots of reasons why, but the biggest reason (and this is a documented feature) is that Toshiba Satellite engineers still cannot figure out how to build a laptop that doesn't overheat.

For example, it's easy to get the bottom of my laptop up to 103 degrees Fahrenheit. No joke. I'm not making that number up. However, that's something I can "deal with."

The big problem is that despite the BIOS upgrade that keeps the LOUD FAN ON ALL THE TIME, the laptop still will spontaneously overheat and shut off with no warning. In TOSHIBA'S USER'S MANUAL it says that the user must constantly save his or her work to prevent it from getting lost when the laptop shuts off automatically. Gee, that's nice, isn't it?

Well, combining Windows XP with wireless networking and this laptop has made me hate nearly all computers.

So then TOM got a new laptop (from his adviser)... And it works great. It's light. It's quiet. It's cool. It's fast. Its wireless network is a lot less flakey than all of the PCMCIA cards I've used with this heap of crap... And I'm jealous.

So I want a laptop, but I don't want to tell Tom, because he'll think I'll just be doing it because he did it... And, in fact, that WILL be why I'm doing it! But he doesn't need to know that.

Alright, so that's the story.

1 comment:

Ted Pavlic said...

It'll be shipped April 1st, I think. Hopefully get here 3-5 days after that...

I feel so dirty...

(but I'm so excited!)