Saturday, February 05, 2005

A Voice Made for Photograph

Did anyone hear This American Life on NPR today? Specifically, did anyone hear the third "act"?

I think it was an interesting story about Johnny Cash and June Carter, but it was hard to concentrate on it because the person who was telling it had a voice that may be wonderful and unique in person but over the narrow bandwidth of FM radio was nothing but . . . the auditory version of a bee sting in between your big and second toe. It was awful! It hurt! But there is simply nothing you can do about it.

Again, I'm sure it has a lot to do with what radio is taking away from her voice... but still, the combination of her and radio was just too much for me... but simply turning her off because I couldn't stand her voice would make me feel... like my mother. So I sat and listened and tried to cope, hoping that (like all talk radio) I'd get used to it and it wouldn't be so bad, but that point never came. And now I have a headache. :(

No comments: